Posted on

RMH are the way to go !

I am truly sorry its been so long between the last post and this one, we have all been sick at one point or another over the last couple of weeks, coupling that with homesteading duties and the numerous projects on the go its been non stop.  I do have some good news for you though, we have almost finished the RMH, now do not be too angry with me for a lack of enough photos, we are doing people and keep forgetting to document in the form of pics bu we do have  a couple to post so you can see what we have done.  Now this post is very image intensive so I do apologize now in advance

CAM00573CAM00574

Ok So the first 2 pics are of the original 44 gal drum heat riser cut down to the 60ltr drum size

CAM00576CAM00575

next is the dry layout of the RMH

CAM00577CAM00581

the heat riser now has a new clay capping over the sawdust and slip insulation, and the next pic with the Drum just for placement and a quick test

CAM00582CAM00587

the test run wne twell until the drum went on and you can see the back flow of air, this is due to the slight windy conditions of the day and it not being sealed around the bottom edge to create a “draw” effect, the next picture is the beginning of the inside placement and mortaring, we use what we have on hand and this is just a standard but thin concrete brick mortar

CAM00589 CAM00588

A plant pot makes a good mold for our ash cleanout area in the feed tube, and the finished mortared RMH minus drum and insulative cob.

CAM00591CAM00590

A down view on both heat riser and in feed

CAM00595CAM00597

A look inside the drum and the pic below is all of it in place ready for insulation/cobbing

CAM00594

Now onto the Cob making bit of this Pic fest of my RMH First we need Straw and clay, then you mix them both together

CAM00600CAM00599

Mix mix mix, lots of leg work, heavy panting and sweat oh so much sweat… I am so unfit :), turn and repeat (turning is jsut grabbing the edge of the tarp and “rolling” your mass over so you can better mix all the binding agent and mud/clay

CAM00601CAM00603

More straw and more mixing

CAM00602CAM00614

Once it is mixed enough (now this is a realtive thing and there is no set way to really gauge a readiness to the cob, but if it looks well mixed and binds good enought then your good to go) we rolled it into balls for ease of carrying inside the house, its always good to get as many hands helping as possible even teeny tiny hands

CAM00610CAM00607

They did ok, I had to dock them a days pay for slacking.  More and more clay balls

CAM00615CAM00604

CAM00613CAM00606

It was quite fun to play in the mud/clay again after all these …….. days (I guess I haven’t grown up yet and doubt I ever will :D)

CAM00612CAM00605

 

Now to Inside the shack to start laying in the cob, I didnt get a shot of the beginning but Miss Nymph was able to take some shots while I was getting the next load of cob balls

 

IMG_20140619_110544IMG_20140619_110524 IMG_20140619_110512

 

IMG_20140619_115132IMG_20140619_115108

This is most of the cob mix we made, the last of the cob was used to seal around the drum and flue pipe

IMG_20140619_133612 IMG_20140619_133554

and here we are all the cob used up that we had made.  We will be making more tomorrow to make our Thermal heat storage bench which will go in the area from the “outlet” to the RMH

CAM00626CAM00625

It works, yay.

 CAM00624 CAM00621

Im quite pleased how this RMH turned out, It is the first RM I have built using a smaller barrel type and it functions really well, we used about 2 kgs of wood “splints”, dry tree limbs etc. to heat the shack and its still warm now at 22:24pm, I couldn’t help but put my feet up and have a cuppa after a long days cob stomping.

 

I hope you have enjoyed todays post, we will make another one in a day or 2 showing the bench WIP

– The Satyr